Reporting problems in the village

Village residents will usually be the first to notice that something is in need attention e.g a blocked drain, an overflowing litter bin, an overhanging tree or a pothole in the road.  The quickest way to remedy any problem is to report it directly to the responsible body. 

Kent Highway Services is the branch of Kent County Council responsible for maintaining all the county’s public roads, pavements and cycleways, (with the exception of motorways and trunk roads which are the responsibility of the Highways Agency).   If you need information about their service or wish to report a fault please telephone 08458 247800, or visit their website at

Maidstone Borough Council is responsible for sweeping the roads and pavements; controlling weeds; emptying litter bins; dealing with graffiti, fly tipping and fly posting; and maintaining a litter free environment.  The Environmental Services Hotline can be contacted on 01622 602162 for information or to report a problem, or alternatively send an email via the ‘contact us’ link from Maidstone Borough Council’s Homepage. In addition, if you are concerned about problems with air quality, public health drainage problems, noise, odour, light, insect nuisance you can call the Pollution Team on 01622 602202. 

The Planning Enforcement Team deals with unauthorised development, caravan sites, and open and untidy spaces.  They can be contacted on 01622 602736 or via the on-line reporting service which you can find at 

The Food, Health and Safety Team deals with issues of food safety, infectious disease control and health and safety at work.  You can contact them on 01622 602202.

You can also obtain information regarding these and other services by visiting the Maidstone Borough Council website at

If you notice a problem with a footpath or bridleway e.g. it is obstructed, or a stile or kissing gate is broken, this can be reported via Kent County Council’s on-line fault reporting system at  If you would like more general information about PROWs visit KCC’s website at

As an alternative to a direct approach to the responsible body please contact the Clerk who in turn will contact the responsible body and monitor the response.  If you wish to report a problem to the Clerk please use the Contact Us page.